The former town of D'Aste was established shortly after the Flathead Reservation was opened to homesteaders in 1910. The church was dedicated by Bishop Carroll in 1916. The last service was held in 1978. The church is one of the last physical remnants of the D'Aste town site. There is a crumbling stone hearth with a few feet of chimney nearby that is the only other visible evidence that there was once a town there.
This photo was taken shortly after the rising of a nearly full moon (the "super moon" of September 2014) at 11:30pm.